[parted-devel] libparted API nomenclature & code-repetition

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Sat Nov 11 02:48:56 CET 2006

"Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello folks,
>
> I just happened to notice that the names of some of the functions,
> like the ones used to register/unregister file-systems and
> disk-labels, do not follow a similar pattern. eg.,
> ped_register_disk_type & ped_file_system_type_register, etc.. Maybe we
> should gradually make sure that names follow a uniform pattern.
>
> In certain places there is some unnecessary repetition of code. eg.,
> the functions for registering/unregistering file-system types and
> disk-label types perform the identical functions; the probe functions
> are also similar in some cases. Maybe we should try remove some of
> these repetitions in the near future.
>
> What do you think?

All this changes should be done for 2.0 release. Not for 1.8. Also
because we don't want to diverge a lot in API from previous releases.

Would be great if you could get darcs and make one branch just for API
clean-up. I would suggest you to read some links:

 - http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/GettingStarted
 - http://www.carpetcode.org/work-with-darcs.html
 - http://zwiki.org/DarcsRepos

To make the branch, it's very trivial, just do:

$: darcs get https://viridian-project.de/darcs/parted/ parted-api-cleanup

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855