[parted-devel] Re: Red Hat Parted Package

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 17:10:38 CET 2006

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> My understanding of Debian's packaging system is that everything is
>> put in a debian/ subdirectory in the project source tree.  A single
>> diff is generated which contains the contents of the debian/
>> subdirectory.  I find patches in this directory and other build
>> control files.
>
> Basically yes but it's not a full requirement.
>
> If we all move to git we can start to use it  to track all our code
> patches and those being manage as normal refs on git
> itself. Basically, when exporting the source for Red Hat or Debian
> package building we would need to make a diff and put it somewhere on
> our building system.
>
> Nowadays, we have debian/patches/* but we could use
> debian/patches/debian_specific.patch that would be all those together
> and made automatically. That would allow us to share changes since we
> would basically cherry-pick from etch other.
>
> What do you think?

I don't fully understand what you're describing here.

I can't use the git repository to track patches since I have to use the
main RH build system for everything.  It just duplicates work for me and
the likelihood of those patches getting out of sync is also a problem
(i.e., which tree contains current patches).

Because of the way our build system works, it would be much easier for
me to expose the patches and spec files for parted RPMs in some other
location besides just the source RPM.  Would that be sufficient?

--
David Cantrell
Red Hat / Westford, MA