[parted-devel] Parted on GNU Hurd based systems

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 23:47:20 CET 2007

> Linux-specific _IOR() macro.  See include/parted/fdasd.h

Do I have the green signal to remove fdasd support from Hurd for the time
being, as David suggested? I have checked that this particular problem is
solved by doing so?

>> The problem in 1.7.1 is that in libparted/arch/gnu.c function gnu_write has
>> PED_SECTOR_SIZE in line number 657. This should be PED_SECTOR_SIZE_DEFAULT,
>> which is #define'd in include/parted/unit.h. There is no #define for
>> PED_SECTOR_SIZE. This is issue persists in the Git snapshot too.

> Yeah, this should change to PED_SECTOR_SIZE_DEFAULT

Done. Pushed to 'master' branch. I also fixed a small problem in the signature
of the function gnu_write in the same file. The firest parameter is now a
const PedDevice.

A new problem has cropped up. In parted/ui.c, the function init_ui uses the
SA_SIGINFO constant to set the flags passed to sigaction. Although the entire
block is within a '#ifdef HAVE_SIGACTION....#endif', we are not checking
whether the SA_SIGINFO is defined in glibc or not. While building in Debian
GNU/Hurd 4.0 I found out that although the sigaction function is mentioned in
/usr/include/bits/sigaction.h, SA_SIGINFO is not defined in the library. This
seems to be a known issue in the Hurd kernel, and is confirmed by #hurd.
According to Guillem Jover (braindmg) we should check for the availability of
SA_SIGINFO at build-time, since it is a POSIX XSI extension.

What do I do? Do I do as suggested and post the patch for review before
pushing?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
husband    v. use sparingly; conserve; save
husbandry  n. frugality; thrift; agriculture