[parted-devel] patches pile up, etc

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Thu Jan 11 10:42:35 CET 2007

David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:

> Hey everyone,
>
> I disappeared for a few weeks around Christmas.  Had some family stuff
> to deal with and was disconnected longer than I wanted from a
> computer. I have been catching up with work since I've been back and
> now have things back under some level of control.

It's nice to have you back to the team :-)

> I have a pile of patches to review and integrate for parted-1.8.x.  If
> you have anything you want reviewed for inclusion in the next 1.8.x
> release, send it my way.

The ones that I think to be suitable for stable-1.8.x are:

commit 5d4436cff22a1089264242e00a072103398ab31e
Author: Anant Narayanan <anant at kix.in>
Date:   Fri Jan 5 23:42:23 2007 +0530

    Dump readline history on crash

commit aed086d05ff1ed528e7c938c4de318c5639128a2
Author: Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org>
Date:   Tue Dec 5 15:32:26 2006 -0200

    libparted/disk.c: Standarize the way we walk throught the disk types overall the code

> Otavio pointed me to a problem Debian is seeing on systems that also
> have Windows Vista installed.  Apparently the version of NTFS shipping
> with Vista uses a different bytes/sector than previous NTFS versions,
> so when we align things, libparted then breaks the Windows
> installation.  I want to fix this, but I can't find a copy of Windows
> Vista.  I may just wait until it is released, but if anyone has a beta
> or something that we can test with, that would be helpful.  I'm
> interested in fixing this in 1.8.x as well as the edge branch.

I failed to locate the Vista RC2 release to give you the URL :(

> In addition to all of that, I received an email from FOSDEM
> coordinators.  They responded to a message I had sent a while ago now
> regarding talking about parted development at FOSDEM.  While it's not
> interesting to enough people to be a keynote, they have offered me a
> Lightning Talk session.  This is a 15 minute presentation in the large
> room with 300+ people.  The goal is to expose what we are doing
> currently in parted development, our ideas, and other topics to make
> people more aware of the project and what we are doing.  And we may be
> able to get some more interested people to help.
>
> FOSDEM is held in Brussels, Belgium at the end of
> February. www.fosdem.org for more information.

That's great :-D

> I am going to prepare a presentation for FOSDEM based on our recent
> development discussions.  I'd like everyone here to comment on it,
> provide input, and so on, so I'll email here when I have something
> ready.
>
> That's me.  Hope everyone else is doing well.

Sure. Will be nice to help with the presentation :-D

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855