[parted-devel] patches pile up, etc

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Thu Jan 11 15:12:45 CET 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 16:19, David Cantrell wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I disappeared for a few weeks around Christmas.  Had some family stuff
> to deal with and was disconnected longer than I wanted from a computer.
>   I have been catching up with work since I've been back and now have
> things back under some level of control.
>
> I have a pile of patches to review and integrate for parted-1.8.x.  If
> you have anything you want reviewed for inclusion in the next 1.8.x
> release, send it my way.
>
> Otavio pointed me to a problem Debian is seeing on systems that also
> have Windows Vista installed.  Apparently the version of NTFS shipping
> with Vista uses a different bytes/sector than previous NTFS versions, so
> when we align things, libparted then breaks the Windows installation.  I
> want to fix this, but I can't find a copy of Windows Vista.  I may just
> wait until it is released, but if anyone has a beta or something that we
> can test with, that would be helpful.  I'm interested in fixing this in
> 1.8.x as well as the edge branch.

Hi David,

You might want to talk with Szakacsits from the ntfs3g project regarding this.
He recently worked out the issues with ntfsresize causing issues with Windows
Vista to not boot. Also, I highly recommend that you get a release version of
Vista to test against, apparently there were a fair amount of changes that
actually impact NTFS since the Beta, RC, and final releases.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: uriel.tolharadys.net