[parted-devel] Resizing a windows partition.

K T Ligesh ligesh at lxlabs.com
Sat Jun 23 21:39:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 01:31:46AM +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > I have been trying to use parted to resize a windows partition but
> > without any success.
>
> Again, which version of Parted and what do you mean by a Windows
> partition?

 OK. I didn't know parted was under such heavy development. Anyway, I finally got the 1.8.7 compiled by disabling readline, and now both the open file descriptor and script mode bugs are gone. So that's a really pleasant surprise. And now you also seem to have an intelligent -1 to specify the last sector. Thanks.

> Parted can not resize Vista NTFS partitions yet.

I am using Win2k3, and ntfsresize. I am not using parted to resize the file system, merely the partition, and I am doing it by first removing it and adding it again, since resize doesn't ntfs at all.

 Now my problem. I have a working windows hard disk image on a file called as windows.img. This is a harddisk image, and it contains a partition with windows. Running parted on windows.img gives.

-------------------
$ parted /home//xen/template/windows.img unit s print
Model:  (file)
Disk /home/xen/template/windows.img: 3407872s
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End       Size      Type     File system  Flags
 1      63s    3403007s  3402945s  primary  ntfs         boot
 --------------------------

The above boots perfectly on xen.

I need to clone this into an LVM. Here's the steps I used.

$ lvcreate -L1.9G -n windows_rootimg VolGroup00

$ parted /dev/VolGroup00/windows_rootimg -- unit s rm 1 mkpart primary ntfs 63 -1 set 1  boot on

$ parted -s /dev/VolGroup00/windows_rootimg set 1  boot on (This is because the set 1 boot on in the previous seems to be ignored).

$ losetup -o 32256  /dev/loop1 windows.img

$ losetup -o 32256  /dev/loop2 /dev/VolGroup00/windows_rootimg

$ ntfsclone -O /dev/loop2 /dev/loop1 (Here we have ntfsclone copying the file system from windows.img to windows_rootimg).

$ xm create windows2.cfg

That is, I am trying to boot the LV, which is supposed to be the clone of the first image. But the boot gets stuck at the very begginning at "Booting from harddisk", and it doesn't proceed at all. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.