[parted-devel] How to set sectors/track

K T Ligesh ligesh at lxlabs.com
Tue Jun 26 05:46:27 UTC 2007

 Hi,

 I have a windows LV, on which if run fdisk -ul, I get that it has 63 sectors/track. Now if I run parted on it, remove the first partition and add it again, the number of sectors/track changes to sometimes 43, 45, 57 and even 6, depending on the size of the LV. Naturally, this plays havoc with windows booting, since windows needs the sectors/track to boot properly. I am assuming that sectors/track is automatically calculated to make the number of tracks an even number, though this doesn't seem to be applicable to windows created image. Is there some way I can tell parted to forcibly use a particular sectors/track?

 Thanks in advance.