[parted-devel] Re: indentation changes render parted/ui.c nearly unmergeable

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Fri Mar 2 14:43:25 CET 2007

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> writes:

>> I see that your recent indentation changes modify nearly every line
>> of parted/ui.c.  Did you realize that with such a change, nearly any
>> delta from 1.8's ui.c will no longer apply to the one on the trunk?
>> I.e., there will *always* be a merge conflict for any change to that file.
>
> Yes. It occurred to me, but since Otavio said it would be alright to make the
> indentation changes in a separate patch I thought it would be fine. Such
> formatting related changes have been intrusive in the past too. eg.,
> 'commit 93ca20d8aebd0d04dbb00b86a2903c992e59a96b' on the master branch. This
> problem may occur there also.

Indeed.

>> This means that either the exact same changes should be made to the copy
>> of ui.c on any other branch likely to share patches with the trunk, or
>> (more likely) the indentation changes should just be backed out.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Here's what I'll probably be doing:
>> 1) identify which style of indentation (spaces or TABs) applies to each file
>> 2) if it's uniformly one or the other, codify that via comments for emacs and
>>      vim at the bottom of the file
>> 3) if it's nearly uniformly one or the other, make the few changes and codify
>>     as in #2
>> 4) if there's a significant mix, convert to spaces-only[*] and codify
>
> Do we have a coding style for each file or one for the whole tree? I would
> prefer a uniform coding style for the entire tree, and then have comments
> in them for Emacs and Vim.

In my POV, this ought to be enforce to the whole tree. I know that
we'll have merging problems but we'll need to do that anyway.

> Maybe we need to modify/improve/enforce
> http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/snippets/CodingStyle at some point of
> time.

Ack.

>> Depending on how many files are "irregular", I might add comments
>> only to the minority, with the assumption that developers will
>> use the proper settings to do the right thing in the "regular" case.
>
> I would rather have a regular style in every file, and comments to avoid the
> odd deviation. :-)

I would prefer to include the indent or astyle pre-commit hook.

Doing that we would enforce the style without much hassle and also
avoid this problem, again, in the future.

Comments?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855