[parted-devel] Wrong formatting in libaparted/tests/

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Wed May 16 13:40:34 UTC 2007

"Håkon Løvdal" <hlovdal at gmail.com> writes:

> On 17/04/07, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have attached a patch to fix the formatting of the libparted/tests/
>> code. The older code was often more than 80 characters wide and used 2
>> tabs (= 16 blankspaces) for indentation.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> 2 tabs for indentation is clearly one too much here and
> cleaning up this is good.  I disagree with using space for
> indentation; with tab every developer is able to configure
> his/her editor to show tab width as much or little space
> expansion as he/she likes. This is a win-win situation
> for everyone.

I'd like to propose a different idea here. While I agree that tabs
could be better sometimes, I also think that the editor setup can be
difficult. I then would like to propose the writting of an indent
script to "properly format the code" and then we start to improve it
until we find a good code style and we can use it to avoid formating
mistakes.

Hakon, can you propose a initial script? I'd suggest you take a look
how I've done[1] it for bindings.git as a starter point. I'd like to
replace astyle with indent there to before commiting it.

1. http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/parted-edge/attachments/20070511/843e74cf/enforcing-coding-style_infra-0001.obj

Thoughts?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855