[parted-devel] Contribution question

Anant Narayanan anant at kix.in
Fri May 18 16:42:55 UTC 2007

Hi Matt,

> I have been wanting to contribute to a oss project in my free time.
> libparted seems like it might be able to satisfy my goals:

That's great news!

> While the library portions of this seem to align with notes 1 and 2
> above, I feel I need a bit of guidance as to where to start.  The
> following are some ideas (not sure if any of these have been mentioned
> for 'Edge'.
>
> 1 - Non-destructive partitioning
> 2 - Disk profiling (benchmarking)
> 3 - Employ encryption or techniques for disguising partition level information

These are indeed great ideas and we would love to incorporate these
features into libparted. Point 1 is on the agenda for Edge, while Point
3 may not fall into the category of what libparted must do; but of
course that is open to discussion!

> While I have never done any such coding for partitioners, I do trust
> that there is a good, small/quick, project I can dedicate some time
> to.  I would appreciate any type of suggestion to such.  Thanks again.
>  Is there a irc server frequented by the libparted team (oftc,
> freenode?)

We will be very glad to guide you through libparted and help you with
your first contribution - do join us on #parted on Freenode. Quite a few
of us hang around there. (My nick is KillerX)

Cheers!

--
Anant Narayanan
http://www.kix.in/