[parted-devel] Parted bootstrap - logic error when comparing version numbers

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Wed Apr 8 18:33:47 UTC 2009

Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Curtis Gedak <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recently I acquired the latest GIT repository for parted (1.8.8.1.115-d53a)
>> and have discovered a problem with building the program.
>>
>> The problem is that an 'automake' version >= 1.10a is required.  I am using
>> 1.10.1, which I believe would be >= 1.10a.

No.  1.10.1 is *older* than 1.10a.
And automake-1.10b was recently released, which I consider to be
stable enough that I used it to bootstrap the stable release
of upstream coreutils-7.2.

> I've pushed a change to require 1.10 only since 1.10a was an alpha
> version of it.

It would be better to encourage developers to use a newer version
of automake, since what is now called 1.10b appears to be quite
close to what automake-1.11 will be.