[parted-devel] Parted bootstrap - logic error when comparing version numbers

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Wed Apr 8 19:17:40 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net> wrote:
> Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Curtis Gedak <gedakc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Recently I acquired the latest GIT repository for parted (1.8.8.1.115-d53a)
>>> and have discovered a problem with building the program.
>>>
>>> The problem is that an 'automake' version >= 1.10a is required.  I am using
>>> 1.10.1, which I believe would be >= 1.10a.
>
> No.  1.10.1 is *older* than 1.10a.
> And automake-1.10b was recently released, which I consider to be
> stable enough that I used it to bootstrap the stable release
> of upstream coreutils-7.2.

I see but while I also think we should stay up to date with the development
environment I think we should also avoid bumping a version requirement
without a very good reason.

>> I've pushed a change to require 1.10 only since 1.10a was an alpha
>> version of it.
>
> It would be better to encourage developers to use a newer version
> of automake, since what is now called 1.10b appears to be quite
> close to what automake-1.11 will be.

That blocks parted to be build with current distribution versions as
for example the Debian one. Without a very good reason for it, I'm
opposed to it.

--
Otavio Salvador                  O.S. Systems
Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854         http://projetos.ossystems.com.br