[parted-devel] ERROR during running ./bootstrap from checked out sources

Joel Granados jgranado at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 10:30:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 07:14:30PM +0530, rohit hooda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have checked out a the parted sources and was trying to build them.
> When I try to run ./bootstrap I get the following errors and I am not able to proceed.
>
> ./bootstrap: cp -f ._bootmp2/po/Rules-quot po/Rules-quot
> ./bootstrap: po/boldquot.sed overrides ._bootmp2/po/boldquot.sed
> ./bootstrap: po/en at boldquot.header overrides ._bootmp2/po/en at boldquot.header
> ./bootstrap: po/en at quot.header overrides ._bootmp2/po/en at quot.header
> ./bootstrap: po/insert-header.sin overrides ._bootmp2/po/insert-header.sin
> ./bootstrap: po/quot.sed overrides ._bootmp2/po/quot.sed
> ./bootstrap: po/remove-potcdate.sin overrides ._bootmp2/po/remove-potcdate.sin
> ./bootstrap: libtoolize -c -f ...
> You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.
> Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `build-aux'.
> ./bootstrap: aclocal --force -I m4 ...
> configure.ac:200: warning: macro `AM_ENABLE_SHARED' not found in library
> configure.ac:209: warning: macro `AM_DISABLE_SHARED' not found in library
> configure.ac:211: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
> ./bootstrap: autoconf --force ...
> configure.ac:200: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ENABLE_SHARED
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:209: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_DISABLE_SHARED
> configure.ac:211: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> configure.ac:487: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LD
>
> Has anyone observed this earlier or can anyone point me to some thing which will help fix this?
>
> Ok, I just tried it once more and re-directed the output to a file.
> Attached is the file "bootstrap.out" with the console output of ./bootstrap.
> Following are the errors which  it threw on STDERR :
>
> cmp: gnulib-tests/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory
> cmp: lib/gnulib.mk: No such file or directory
> configure.ac:200: warning: macro `AM_ENABLE_SHARED' not found in library
> configure.ac:209: warning: macro `AM_DISABLE_SHARED' not found in library
> configure.ac:211: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
> configure.ac:200: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_ENABLE_SHARED
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:209: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_DISABLE_SHARED
> configure.ac:211: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> configure.ac:487: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LD
>

> I am using FC9 and my system is update with the latest updates. BTW, I was able to successfully compile it inside a FC11 Virtual Machine.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ is the culprit of your problem :)  You must update to
f11 (at least) to get all of the package versions that parted is
currently using.  And even then I'd think you would be missing stuff
like xz.

Another thing you could do is to install autotools stuff from f11, while
still keeping your f9 installation.

Regards.