[parted-devel] Patch: Be more conservative about modifying the disk

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Tue Feb 10 15:54:36 UTC 2009

"Matthew S. Harris" <mharris312 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I actually wrote this patch back in April 2007 when I was trying to
> get Parted to parse EFI GPT labels written by OpenSolaris ZFS.  As you
> can tell from the change description, Parted was messing up my
> partitions.
>
> - Linux was seeing my partitions as being a different size than
> OpenSolaris was, and Parted was a bit too eager to "fix" things.
>
> - Parted was computing the CRC differently than OpenSolaris was
> (though I fixed this in another change last year), and again Parted
> was a bit too eager to "fix" it.
>
> I haven't touched Parted since then, but I've been wanting to get this
> off my plate.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the reminder.
This looks like a fine patch.
However, I'd like to ensure that the behavior, once fixed,
stays fixed, so would like a tiny example demonstrating
the change in behavior.

Can you prepare that, along the same lines as the other tests?
If you don't feel like writing a test script (can be a pain),
how about just coming up with a few-lines of example shell code: e.g.,

  # create a gpt partition table
  # zero out the backup table
  # run some parted command that would (before your patch) restore the table
  # ensure that the backup table has not been restored