[parted-devel] bios_grub needs a brief description

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Thu Oct 15 20:21:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:50:11PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> The bios_grub flag was added with this commit:
>
>   http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=commitdiff;h=b65f8e479aac6ca
>
> but was accompanied by no documentation update.
>
> The following is probably too vague.
> Robert, can you provide a better description?

Hi Jim,

I wrote this for GRUB wiki a while ago:

  http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition

(in case this is an issue, I consider this text covered by my copyright
assignment agreement with FSF, wiki history should reflect authorship)

> Would it make sense to extend this to any other partition table format?

Most likely not.  It is intimately tied to the presence of MBR boot code
(URL above should clarify that).

--
Robert Millan