[parted-devel] bios_grub needs a brief description

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Thu Oct 15 21:19:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:21:30PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:50:11PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > The bios_grub flag was added with this commit:
> >
> >   http://git.debian.org/?p=parted/parted.git;a=commitdiff;h=b65f8e479aac6ca
> >
> > but was accompanied by no documentation update.
> >
> > The following is probably too vague.
> > Robert, can you provide a better description?
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I wrote this for GRUB wiki a while ago:
>
>   http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition
>
> (in case this is an issue, I consider this text covered by my copyright
> assignment agreement with FSF, wiki history should reflect authorship)

Maybe something shorter would do, like:

@item bios_grub
(GPT) - Mark the selection partition as usable for BIOS-based boot, so that
bootloaders that use static embedding (like GNU GRUB) can put their boot
code in it.

In any case, I recommend reading that wiki page, it provides an extensive
explanation on what a BIOS Boot partition is useful for.

--
Robert Millan