[parted-devel] next to master; making a beta release soon; plans

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Tue Sep 15 14:26:33 UTC 2009

Heads up:

In the next couple of days I expect to rebase all of next and pull
it onto master, and then to begin working towards a near-term beta release.

Things we should discuss first:

  - how to handle the soon-to-be-deprecated FS-manipulation subcommands,
    mkfs, mkpartfs, check, cp.

      Our options:

        * warn-and-try-anyway: I would not advise this: the FS code is
          so old and bit-rotten, and I've made no attempt to adapt it
          to handle the possibility of >512-byte sectors.  In addition,
          there are relatively few tests that exercise it.

        * simply fail, possibly suggesting to try parted-1.9.x
          I favor this one.

  - determine whether it really is ok to omit support for the few
    partition table types that I haven't yet adapted to work with
    >512-byte sector sizes.

Of course, there are a few bugs that have to be addressed
before the beta release.

If you've posted a patch that doesn't apply to "next",
please consider rebasing it very soon.

Jim