[parted-devel] Partition move function

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Fri Apr 30 15:17:22 UTC 2010

Phillip Susi wrote:
> On 4/30/2010 10:55 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> It sounds worthy, but won't make it to the front of my queue any
>> time soon.  Before doing that, I want to make a bug-fix release,
>> and then remove all FS-related code.

  [Just so no one misunderstands, HFS/HFS+ and FAT resizing code will
   have to be retained for the forseeable future, but everything
   else will go. ]

> Sounds good.  By the way, does this mean that mkpartfs will go away?

Yes.

> What about the fs parameter to mkpart that is used to decide on the
> partition type?

"mkpart" will continue to accept its FS_TYPE argument.
mkpart performs no FS-specific operation, so I see no down side.
The alternative would be needlessly disruptive.

I wrote the above, then read the end of your sentence:

  "decide on the partition type"

but I couldn't make sense of that, since the partition type (when
allowed) must be specified.  There's nothing to decide about it.