[parted-devel] Partition move function

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Fri Apr 30 15:58:21 UTC 2010

Selon Jim Meyering <jim at meyering.net>:

> Phillip Susi wrote:
> > On 4/30/2010 10:55 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> >> It sounds worthy, but won't make it to the front of my queue any
> >> time soon.  Before doing that, I want to make a bug-fix release,
> >> and then remove all FS-related code.
>
>   [Just so no one misunderstands, HFS/HFS+ and FAT resizing code will
>    have to be retained for the forseeable future, but everything
>    else will go. ]
>
> > Sounds good.  By the way, does this mean that mkpartfs will go away?
>
> Yes.
>
> > What about the fs parameter to mkpart that is used to decide on the
> > partition type?
>
> "mkpart" will continue to accept its FS_TYPE argument.
> mkpart performs no FS-specific operation, so I see no down side.
> The alternative would be needlessly disruptive.

from parted-1.8.8 to parted-2.2, configure --disable-fs does not work at it
should.
The reason is in mkpart FS_TYPE, FS_TYPE is rejected when --disable-fs has been
used.

> I wrote the above, then read the end of your sentence:
>
>   "decide on the partition type"
>
> but I couldn't make sense of that, since the partition type (when
> allowed) must be specified.  There's nothing to decide about it.
>
> > Will that be changed to just specify the partition type
> > directly?

ala fdisk t 82 for linux-swap 83 for linux-native

there is a semantic difference in fdisk and parted.
parted want to know too much about FS_TYPE where fdisk don't care at all.

parted require a FS_TYPE
 fat16", "fat32", "ext2", "HFS", "linux-swap", "NTFS", "reiserfs" or "ufs"

fdisk only set a partition type 82 or 83 when speaking for most current x86
partitions
So on fdisk, with a type 83, you could later format to ext{2,3,4) or reiserfs.

Gilles