[parted-devel] Double-posting to list

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Wed Nov 14 13:32:34 GMT 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 01:38:19AM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
> On 13/11/18 23:55, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 07:39:50PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
> >> I seem to be getting two copies of every mail sent to the list in the last
> >> week or so .. its not unique to sender either.
> > I'm not, as far as I've noticed, so it's not a general problem.  I'd
> > suggest comparing Received lines of a pair of mostly-identical emails
> > you receive to see if you spot anything interesting about the path the
> > emails take on their way to you.
> >
> Picking one at random I see the following in my message headers:-
>
> To: "Brian C. Lane" <bcl at redhat.com>, parted-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net,
>
>         parted-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org

> I'm not sure where this 'lists.alioth.debian.org' is coming from vs.
> 'alioth-lists.debian.net' .. but clearly there seem to be some duplication
> or non-de-duplication happening somewhere (possibly list DNS migrations or
> something going on?).

Ah, in that case that's just because some people are literally sending a
message to the list twice under its old and new addresses.  They
generally seem to be in portions of threads originating with Brian.

I think what's happening is that people still send to
parted-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org rather than
parted-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net for any of various likely reasons,
and then when Brian replies their mailer picks up something like the
List-Post header and adds that too.  I don't know whether it's possible
to do much about this unless Brian can work out how to make their mailer
pick just one of the two list addresses and stick to it.

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at debian.org]