[parted-devel] Double-posting to list

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 18:52:41 GMT 2018

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 01:38:19AM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
> On 13/11/18 23:55, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 07:39:50PM +0000, M. J. Everitt wrote:
> >> I seem to be getting two copies of every mail sent to the list in the last
> >> week or so .. its not unique to sender either.
> > I'm not, as far as I've noticed, so it's not a general problem.  I'd
> > suggest comparing Received lines of a pair of mostly-identical emails
> > you receive to see if you spot anything interesting about the path the
> > emails take on their way to you.
> >
> Picking one at random I see the following in my message headers:-
>
> To: "Brian C. Lane" <bcl at redhat.com>, parted-devel at alioth-lists.debian.net,
>
>         parted-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org

> I'm not sure where this 'lists.alioth.debian.org' is coming from vs.
> 'alioth-lists.debian.net' .. but clearly there seem to be some duplication
> or non-de-duplication happening somewhere (possibly list DNS migrations or
> something going on?).

I don't see anything wrong on my end. I use mutt and 'list-reply' which
picks the list address. Some people use 'reply-all' which ends up adding
the list and your email address so you may get it twice in those cases?

My expectation is that discussions remain on the list, and anyone who
cares to follow it will be subscribed, so replying to the list is the
correct thing to do.

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT)