[parted-devel] Resize library

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 19:24:12 GMT 2020

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 01:01:24AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 04:11:43PM -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> > A big part of the trouble here was in the resize code, which we need to
> > talk about.
> >
> > I'd like to get a 3.4 release with these patches out before the end of
> > the year. Next year I want to drop the /r/ resize library again. It has
> > no place in parted, isn't maintained, and isn't something I'd suggest
> > anyone using. Filesystem code should be maintained by filesystem tools
> > so if someone wants to move it into some other project that's fine with
> > me but I strongly believe that it needs to be removed.
> >
> > We can talk about that in another thread though.
>
> I hope changing the subject line is close enough.

Nope, you need to break the in-reply-to chain as well.
I've attempted to do that with this reply :)

> Here are the packages that depend on the resize library in Debian (we
> have it in a separate .deb, which has the convenient side-effect of
> making it easy to spot who's using it):
>
>   fatresize (https://github.com/ya-mouse/fatresize)
>   gparted (https://gparted.org)
>   libblockdev-fs2 (https://github.com/storaged-project/libblockdev)
>
> All three of these are active in the sense of having had commits in the
> last year, so if you're working on removing the library it would be good
> to explicitly contact the maintainers of those projects so that they
> have due warning and can work out some kind of alternative, perhaps in
> collaboration with each other.  (I haven't checked in any other
> distributions; perhaps there are other things elsewhere.)

Thanks for tracking that down.

I'd like to figure out a nice way to deprecate them, I'm not sure if
that's been done with a parted API before.

As far as a timeframe goes, given the glacial pace of parted
releases, I'm thinking a 4.0 release next December would be a good time
to remove them. This leaves plenty of time to adjust.

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart