[parted-devel] hfs vs. hfsplus

Brian C. Lane bcl at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 18:11:51 BST 2021

While looking more closely at the t3000 tests I realized that on Fedora
we haven't had a mkfs.hfs for a long time... So the t3000 test hasn't
actually been running.

It still seems to pass (whew!) but I've just sent a patch to make it run
with the available filesystems so that if there is no mkfs.hfs it will
still run the vfat test if mkfs.vfat is installed in the environment.

The other thing is this: Is anyone still shipping a mkfs.hfs? Is anyone
not shipping mkfs.hfsplus?

Should we switch to using mkfs.hfsplus and fsck.hfsplus (on Fedora
fsck.hfs is a symlink to fsck.hfsplus)?

Plain hfs is ancient at this point, and if I'm reading the comments in
the hfs resize code it is supposed to work fine with hfs+ so I think
it's probably time to switch.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart