[parted-devel] hfs vs. hfsplus

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 18:29:30 BST 2021

Hi Brian,

Thank you for working to improve the resize tests in addition to many
other areas of parted.

 > Is anyone still shipping a mkfs.hfs?

Both mkfs.hfs and mkfs.hfsplus are included with the hfsprogs package in
  recent Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2].

[1] https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/hfsprogs/filelist
[2] https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/amd64/hfsprogs/filelist

There is also the older hfsutils package in both Debian [3] and Ubuntu [4].

[3] https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/hfsutils/filelist
[4] https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/amd64/hfsutils/filelist

It appears that openSUSE also ships hfsprogs [5] and hfsutils [6].

[5] https://build.opensuse.org/search?search_text=hfsprogs
[6] https://build.opensuse.org/search?search_text=hfsutils

 > Is anyone not shipping mkfs.hfsplus?

For Fedora I found the package hfsutils but not hfsprogs.

[7]
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/search?match=glob&type=package&terms=hfsutils
[8]
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/search?match=glob&type=package&terms=hfsprogs

In summary it appears that at least Debian, Ubuntu, and openSUSE are
shipping both mkfs.hfs and mkfs.hfsplus file system utilities.  Fedora
seems to only have the older hfsutils package.

Regards,
Curtis