[Piuparts-devel] Handling Piuparts Exceptions

Andreas Beckmann debian at abeckmann.de
Mon Jan 21 18:55:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-21 19:07, Dave Steele wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Andreas Beckmann <debian at abeckmann.de> wrote:
>>
>> I only try to add permanent workarounds for bugs that are not going to
>> be fixed. ...
>
> I'm not sure that's always the case
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671629
>
>     http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=611418#30
>
> The idea that bugs be excepted because they won't get fixed may be
> self-fulfilling - the exceptions remove visibility to the problems. Do
> we need a "...but excepted bugs were encountered" issue summary?
>
> I've also wondered about the mechanism for backing out the exceptions
> should the core issues be fixed. Perhaps via a means for determining
> that the exception no longer appears in the 'exception' issue report.

Good ideas.

Basicially we should distinguish the application of an exception

exception for package P1 while testing P1 -> this should show up in big
red letters (as it is mainly to allow rdepends to be tested)

excpetion for package P1 while testing P2 (which recursively depends on
P1) -> this should be ignored somehow, because it's for increasing the
test coverage and we would really like to see if P2 works properly (in
case P1 would work properly)