[Piuparts-devel] Need help with a particular piuparts run

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Tue Jul 2 07:10:27 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-02 08:06, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Andreas Beckmann <anbe at debian.org> writes:
>> We could make init-system-helpers fake-essential (similarly to ucf,
>> dbconfig-common and adduser), at least when testing for proper cleanup.
>> Unfortunately init-system-helpers depends on perl ... which seems to
>> pull in a lot.
> Is that an actual dealbreaker?

Not really. Does it really need perl? Or would perl-base be sufficient?
(perl-base is priority: required and available in the minimal chroot)
Or maybe a tiny change is needed to only use stuff from perl-base?

> I figured lots of stuff is implemented in
> Perl in Debian, code is compact and small (in bytes).

I'd prefer to avoid pulling in perl by default into the minimal chroot
as that makes it harder to detect packages that depend on perl-base, but
actually need perl. Weird (heisen)bugs showing only in rare corner cases
(postgresql-common recently).

> If nothing else helps, we could re-implement it in C, though that sounds
> like a lot of pain for such a utility.

Don't do that if it's only for piuparts :-)