[Piuparts-devel] stable combinations

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Mon Jun 3 11:15:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

for stable we have following IMO relevant variants

stable            (current point release)
stable+security   (current point release + security updates)
stable-proposed   (next point release)

There is also stable-updates, but for wheezy so far this is empty. We
could probably include it into stable+security. Having everything
separate will make an explosion of combinations ...

(stable+security is kind of a subset of stable-proposed - do we need to
test it separately? Which paths are relevant here?)

*** install ***

These should be three valid targets for *install* tests in different
scenarios:
* stable from offline media
* stable from online media
* stable from next point release media (this will be relevant only after
the next point release, but we should test it in advance to find bugs
before the point release)

*** purge ***

For purge tests, we can probably skip stable if we do stable+security
and stable-proposed.

*** upgrade within stable ***

stable -> stable+security
stable -> stable-proposed
stable -> stable+security -> stable-proposed
stable+security -> stable-proposed

Actually all these are only variants of stable -> stable-proposed
(currently run as stable2proposed) with slightly differing sets of
available packages.
Another good thing is that there are no version bumps in the start
distribution, only the target distro will be updated (or if the start
distro changes, the target will change, too. So the target version can
be used as a reliable identifier for the test to discover the need to
retest. (unlike squeeze2bpo2wheezy where a version change in the
backport is not reflected in the target version and may go unnoticed
until the next reschedule interval is reached)

What can't be tested: For packages with 2 or more security updates
between point releases we can't test the upgrade from the previous
security fix to the current one, only from the point release itself to
the current security fix. Or does anyone want to integrate snapshot.d.o
into the piuparts tests?

*** upgrade from oldstable ***

we could choose two (three) oldstable variants to start from:

oldstable
oldstable+security
oldstable-proposed

and upgrade to any of our three stable candidates, relevant could be

oldstable-FOO -> stable
oldstable-FOO -> stable+security
oldstable-FOO -> stable -> stable+security
oldstable-FOO -> stable-proposed

What is currently covered?
==========================

(after activating wheezy-proposed and squeeze2wheezy-proposed):

install stable           wheezy, wheezy2proposed
install stable+security: n/a, approximated by wheezy-proposed
install stable-proposed: wheezy-proposed

purge stable           wheezy
purge stable+security: n/a, approximated by wheezy[-2]proposed
purge stable-proposed: wheezy-proposed, wheezy2proposed

stable -> stable-proposed: wheezy2proposed
stable* -> stable*:        n/a, approximated by wheezy2proposed

oldstable -> stable           squeeze2wheezy
oldstable -> stable-proposed: squeeze2wheezy-proposed

Dropping classig "wheezy" would only drop "purge stable".