[Piuparts-devel] stable combinations

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Thu Jun 6 23:58:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Montag, 3. Juni 2013, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> for stable we have following IMO relevant variants
>
> stable            (current point release)
> stable+security   (current point release + security updates)
> stable-proposed   (next point release)

I disagree. IMO we have two relevant variants:

> stable            (current point release + security)
> stable-proposed   (next point release + security)

Nobody runs Debian without security archive, or at least, nobody should, so we
dont't have to test this.

> There is also stable-updates, but for wheezy so far this is empty. We
> could probably include it into stable+security.

Yes, (old)stable-updates should also always be enabled.

> *** install ***
>
> These should be three valid targets for *install* tests in different
> scenarios:
> * stable from offline media
> * stable from online media

how would you want to test this?

> *** purge ***
>
> For purge tests, we can probably skip stable if we do stable+security
> and stable-proposed.

yes

> *** upgrade within stable ***

not needed

> Actually all these are only variants of stable -> stable-proposed
> (currently run as stable2proposed) with slightly differing sets of
> available packages.

yes, and I dare to say they dont matter in practice.

> What can't be tested: For packages with 2 or more security updates
> between point releases we can't test the upgrade from the previous
> security fix to the current one, only from the point release itself to
> the current security fix. Or does anyone want to integrate snapshot.d.o
> into the piuparts tests?

"I'll leave this as an exercise for the reader..." ;-)

> *** upgrade from oldstable ***
>
> we could choose two (three) oldstable variants to start from:
>
> oldstable
> oldstable+security
> oldstable-proposed

two, as with stable.

> Dropping classig "wheezy" would only drop "purge stable".

multiplied with 36k this is at least something, a day has 86k seconds (and
piu-slave four cores :)