[Piuparts-devel] Packages configuration - was Apache configuration broken in sid

Dave Steele dsteele at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 04:25:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 6:10 AM, Holger Levsen <holger at layer-acht.org> wrote:

> <h01ger> we once had the idea we could setup master mode automatically, but
> really, we cant. what should it test? debian sid? thats hardly a useful
> default. and, which partition has >10gb free space? and should installing a
> package (piuparts-slave) really give a user installing everything unlimited
> sudo rights? i dont think so.
> <h01ger> -> you need to do manual steps.

Frankly, I'd rather be dealing with tuning section lists and partition
free space vs. the surprising amount of spelunking currently needed to
get the packages working.

Consider who the customer is for the packaging, and what their goals
are. Try a stock install with that in mind, using the existing
packages and documentation. It's eye-opening.

Some specifics, going beyond the issues currently listed in the todo doc:

- The slave startup command is not in the PATH for the slave user account
- The sudoers file installed by slave should define and implement a
reasonably limited access to piuparts as root.(just like the ssh key
is actually configured). Providing a means to run piuparts as root is
the purpose of piupartss. It should come as no surprise that it
supports that.
- There's no reason not to enable-by-default the vast majority of the
cron entries. They generally don't do anything if the log directories
are empty. Otherwise, you're asking the user to make value judgments
on many undocumented facets of the system before getting started.
- README_server.txt has three independent sections on installation.
The first one just adds confusion - it should be deleted.
- The package installation section still refers to a piuparts-server package.
- There should be words on running a slave on a different instance,
and on security implication specifics.

Personally, I'd say the only configuration required would be to define
a repository means, to enable running on startup, and to read a
security disclosure, leading to a sid test saved to the var partition,
and a working apache setup (if apache is installed). That would be
useful.

--
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" - Voltaire