[Piuparts-devel] distro.conf and chroot setup for puiparts testing

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Fri May 31 09:56:36 UTC 2013

Hi Zdenek,

are you subscribed or need to be cc:ed?

On Freitag, 31. Mai 2013, Zdenek Crha wrote:
> In our company we are developing Debian packages for our software and I've
> been trying to setup testing using distributed version of piuparts. I've
> read the documentation, did few experiments but I still have some
> questions.

cool!

> [application]
> uri = http://localrepo/application
> distribution = master
> components = non-free
> depends = wheezy
>
> and specifying custom section in piuparts.conf
>
> [application]
> distro = application
> piuparts-flags = --no-symlinks
> upgrade-test-distros =
>
> The slave run always failed because it tried to create chroot from
> http://localrepo/application which contains only application packages and
> not Debian system.

Have a look at instances/piuparts.conf(.pejacevic|.anbe) and conf/distro.conf
- similar distros we have (which are not installable on their own, like
yours), are wheezy2proposed (based on wheezy) or experimental (based on sid)

Also, which version do you use? The master-slave packages in sid or even from
git still need some polishing easier setup, see the file TODO in git.

> I tried to find out from documentation how is the piuparts master getting
> information about packages to test, but without luck. The only hint I found
> was in master cron.d file:

See README_server.txt it describes the protocol used between master+server.
The slave(s) are started manually (or by cron), then they ssh as piupartsm
user to the master (host) and run the piuparts-master command.

Clearly not the usual client/server setup :)

> # generate reports twice a day
> #  (dinstall runs 1|7|13|19:52, so this is long after mirror pushes...)
> #
> 0  0,12 * * * /usr/share/piuparts/master/generate_daily_report
>
> which might or might not be related.

yup, that generates the webpages.

> Did I miss something in docs or
> configuration?

I suggest you clone the git repo and check README* and TODO first. (in TODO
only the first half of our plans for 0.5x are relevant to you...)