[Piuparts-devel] using piuparts to find log files

Matt Taggart taggart at debian.org
Wed Aug 20 02:58:25 UTC 2014

Holger Levsen writes:
> so you want to find packages which install files _and_ directories to
> /var/log

Sorry, that should have been _or_, I care about anything that gets created
in /var/log.

> i've just tried "apt-file search /var/log" but that only resulted in five
> hits. wonder why...

I also tried that first and got the same result and then realized that
most packages create their log files at runtime. That's why I
thought of piuparts because it actually installs and runs the packages.

Looking at piuparts.py, it looks like ignored_files and ignored_patterns
are used to ignore a lot (but not all) of /var/log things.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart at debian.org