[Piuparts-devel] using piuparts to find log files

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Wed Aug 20 03:05:47 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Dienstag, 19. August 2014, Matt Taggart wrote:
> Sorry, that should have been _or_, I care about anything that gets created
> in /var/log.

ah :)

> I also tried that first and got the same result and then realized that
> most packages create their log files at runtime. That's why I
> thought of piuparts because it actually installs and runs the packages.
>
> Looking at piuparts.py, it looks like ignored_files and ignored_patterns
> are used to ignore a lot (but not all) of /var/log things.

yeah, exactly. parsing a Packages file, looping through all packages and
installing them in some chroot is rather trivial though.... but thats also not
exactly what piuparts does, not even in master-slave mode :)

but then, some packages will only create logfiles when they are run, and you
probably want to use policy-rc.d to prevent that from happening, or maybe
not...