[Piuparts-devel] piupart fails for cacti because mysql-server leaves files behind; hinders migration (in a couple of days)

Paul Gevers elbrus at debian.org
Sat Dec 17 10:45:40 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Now that piuparts is (IMHO rightly so) used to see if packages can
migrate to testing, I am very interested to learn if I am correct in my
understanding of the piupart failure of cacti. Looking at the log¹ it
seems to me that the failure is caused by loads of files in
/var/lib/mysql/. Obviously, it is not the responsibility of cacti to
clean up files from mysql-server (shouldn't mariadb-server be used
nowadays), unless the mysql-server is still running during cacti purge
(then dbconfig-common could be told to also purge the database).

As I believe that piuparts must be configured to install mysql-server
for cacti to do sane piuparts checking, I am wondering if this is a
piuparts specific issue, or if this is a mysql-server issue. Any insight
is appreciated. If time allows, I'll try to search through piuparts
source to figure this out, but due to the stretch release cycle, I
rather solve this issue with help sooner than later.

Paul
Please CC me in response.

¹ https://piuparts.debian.org/sid/fail/cacti_0.8.8h+ds1-8.log