[Piuparts-devel] preview/use-chroot-meta-data

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Mar 6 12:54:16 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 06, 2017 at 12:21:29AM +0100, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> Andreas Beckmann (6):
>       p: fall back to on-the-fly generation if --end-meta file is missing
>       p: pass the full chroot state to restore_selections
>       p: factor out Chroot.get_state_meta_data()
>       p: rename Chroot.save_meta_data() to Chroot.get_tree_meta_data()
>       p: keep history of 'apt-cache dumpavail | md5sum'
>       p-s: use the --save-end-meta and --end-meta options
> this should save some time on upgrade tests

nice!

> the metadata file automatically gets updated (in the next test) if
> discrepancies are noticed
> so far I didn't run into a failure due to outdated metadata

cool.

> there is one metadata file kept per slave instance and config section

ok

> the first 4 packages could be used as refactoring without new features

I don't understand…

> the first patch is for copy+paste to rerun a piuparts command from a
> logfile (which usually uses -E) *without* an existing metadata file
> (from the *correct* upgrade path) in $(pwd)

yay! This should be made clear very clearly in the logs, "copy+paste this to
re-run this test on your machine" or so…

> PS: now that we have some testing power, what do you think about adding
> [oldstable2stable2testing] ?

I like it!

When thinking about adding more archs to piuparts last night before falling
asleep I thought that the bottleneck is probably piuparts-reports now and
I wondered whether we'd better rewrite this, using storing results in a
postgresql db and then creating the results pages, quite similarly what
we're doing for tests.reproducible-builds.org/debian - maybe even sharing
some code there?