[Piuparts-devel] First step to Python 3

Herbert Fortes terberh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 15:29:36 GMT 2019

>> This mornning I did:
>>
>> Changes not staged for commit:
>>
>> 	modified:   piuparts.py
>> 	modified:   piupartslib/__init__.py
>> 	modified:   piupartslib/conf.py
>> 	modified:   piupartslib/packagesdb.py
>> 	modified:   piupartslib/pkgsummary.py
>
> very nice, though that still misses some files:
>
> master-bin/detect_well_known_errors.py
> piuparts-analyze.py
> piupartslib/dwke.py
> piupartslib/dependencyparser.py
> piuparts-master-backend.py
> piuparts-report.py
> piuparts-slave.py
> tests/test_piuparts.py
> tests/test_pkgsummary.py
> tests/test_dependencyparser.py
> tests/test_config.py
> tests/unittests.py
>
> But it's a really good start!

Ok.

>> And tests are OK:
>
> as said: very nice!
>

>> Basically I fix some imports like
> [...]
>
> looks good to me!
>
>> python-lzma seems to be for tests too (piupartslib/__init__.py).
>> piuparts-common package has it for 'Depends'.
>
> what's your question/comment here?

Piuparts does not need python-lzma

>> piuparts (0.66) unstable; urgency=medium
>
> I'm hope you were need basing your work on this ancient version?

No. It was just to tell when python-lzma

>> With Python 3.7 I think it can be removed. I do not
>> have it installed.

Also about python-lzma here

> I believe we should target python 3.7 as this is for bullseye (the
> release after buster) anyway.
>
>> I saw that branch python3 last commit was 3 years ago.
>> I did not use it.
>
> :)
>
>> Should I continue with these minor changes?
>
> yes, please!
>
> also please push your work as a branch somewhere.
>
>> Tests pass but
>> they do not cover 50%.
>
> is that any different from now?

I ran tests from piuparts 0.95.

I will create a branch in the repo with a commit
to run tests only. This means the files I edited
today.

I ran tests (nosetestes3) without python-lzma. I
think I have Python2  installed because of xmlto.

xmlto started to be necessary in version 0.36.

- add build-dependencies on debhelper, asciidoc and xmlto.
- remove build-dependencies on docbook2x and docbook-xml.

If Piuparts stop to use xmlto package it will not
need Python2.

After the first commit in the branch I will create,
what is the next step?

  - try to add tests?
  - run piuparts against some packages as manual tests?
  - remove xmlto from Build-Depends?
    (doc files can wait)

I took note of files you point out as missing. Thanks!
I have to leave home now.

Regards,
Herbert