[Piuparts-devel] First step to Python 3 - PR

Andreas Beckmann anbe at debian.org
Thu Jan 17 13:19:35 GMT 2019

Hi Herbert,

thanks for your work on porting piuparts to Python 3!
I think this is something that we should aim for early in the bullseye
release cycle.

Since the diff is already quite large, is it possible factor out some
parts that are also applicable to the current Python 2 codebase?
I'm thinking of things like
  print 'foo'  =>   print('bar')
  import foo from bar
and possibly more.
That would make the final python3 switch much more painless to review.

There is also a lot of whitespace changes, I think most of them could be
factored out to a subsequent whitespace-only cleanup commit (and some
could probably be applied to the current Python 2 code already).

You seemed to have found (and commented) some redundant bits of code -
perhaps we could just remove these bits in a starting cleanup commit.

Andreas

PS: @Holger: IMO switching to python3 would warrant a major version
increment :-)