[Piuparts-devel] drop piuparts-(master|slave)-from-git packages?

Holger Levsen holger at layer-acht.org
Mon Sep 2 18:18:54 BST 2019

On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 07:02:05PM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> > i've just been preparing an RT ticket for DSA to install the needed
> > packages for piuparts >= 1.1.0 which will be using python3.
> >
> > For this, i found the piuparts-(master|slave)-from-git packages not
> > helpful at all, their depends are outdated and hard to update, so I'm
> > pondering to drop those packages again. Because, when they would be most
> > useful, they are useless.. What do you think about dropping them again?
> They should work fine if used from git.

does that mean not even you are using them? ;)

> The problem is if you want to
> use them from backports - you need to add new dependencies one release
> ahead.

exactly. that's where I wanted to use them now (well, for piuparts.d.o
but thats effectivly running the next backports version) and they were
useless.

> And if updating them is too complicated to keep everything in sync, we
> just need to use some substvars and define the common dependencies in
> debian/rules.

yes, and unless that has been implemented, they will be outdated and
thus useless. so we could also drop them.

> So NACK for dropping them.

well, then please do the work to update them. with having
${misc:Depends} and  ${python3:Depends} in there, one can also not
simply copy and paste to update them (it also doesnt help that they are
sourced from 4 binary packages), and for using them they are rather
useless if there are significant changes in git, while thats where they
would be most useful.