[Pkg-mozext-maintainers] Changes within the Thunderbird packaging > 68.x
c.schoenert at t-online.de
Sun Apr 19 07:10:49 BST 2020
One more Hello from me,
Am 15.04.20 um 12:10 schrieb Carsten Schoenert:
> We also need to think about Enigmail, there was some direct integration
> planned into Thunderbird, but I don't know the state on this.
I tried to get smarter on this topic by doing some research within the
There was a blog post  and there is also a own wiki page  on
wiki.m.o about the future of OpenPGP (with)in Thunderbird.
* Starting with TB 78 there will be an implemented OpenPGO solution.
* TB will use a own developed library instead of using gpg in the back.
* Thus requires a own Key storage independent from the one GPG is using.
* It's undecided if TB will support the model of trusted key chains
(known as WOT) as this must somehow integrated into the own OpenPGP
library implementation then.
* Users of external SmartCards for key storage will mostly not be able
to use them together with TB.
Currently I don't know when MZLA will start to provide beta versions of
Thunderbird with some basic implementation of this all. Next ESR version
will be version 78 and is planned to get released around 30th June of
2020 . This is about 2 months from now in the future.
More information about the Pkg-mozext-maintainers