[Pkg-pascal-devel] Change xcf2png -> ImageMagick breaks images with alpha channel

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 21:26:15 GMT 2021

Paul Gevers <elbrus at debian.org> wrote:
> Hi Michalis,
> On 15-02-2021 11:55, Michalis Kamburelis wrote:
> > 1. I found out how to tweak these XCF files to make them properly
> > processed by the ImageMagick command you use. Done in
> > https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/commit/4116d9415fd6eea95cfe23c07948daafe48d6806
> I'm very sorry that I'm putting you through this work. Silly Debian that
> requires everything that's not the-prefered-form-for-modification to be
> buildable with tools in Debian (and then maintainers that try to prove
> that by actually doing that during every build).

Well, I do not mind taking care of it :) It's an understandable
requirement to verify that source for everything is in place, even for
XCF->PNG. If taking care of this detail means getting into Debian, I'm
happy to oblige :)

Although I am surprised that it doesn't affect a ton of other
packages. I mean, I thought that GIMP is used in a lot of projects,
but https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=982500 mentions
only "3 rdeps". So either GIMP is less used than I thought, or most
packages already preferred ImageMagick over xcf2png for this
conversion, or there is some other solution used in other packages.

> >     Do you need an equivalent patch versus CGE 6.4 too (I do not
> > recall now whether we had some changes there to these XCF files)? If
> > the CGE 6.4 will be replaced soon by CGE 7.0-alpha.1 in Debian, then
> > possibly it doesn't matter :)
> I fear I won't be in the position to get CGE 7 into unstable before the
> release. My focus now is in the Release Team, fixing RC bugs. If it
> would have built straight away last week, I would maybe have done it,
> but to be honest, the CGE release happened too late, see
> https://release.debian.org/bullseye/freeze_policy.html. I would be
> setting a bad example as Release Team member.
> So, indeed, I would need the xcf files for CGE 6.4.

It's a pity CGE 7 will not get to next Debian stable, but I completely
understand. I did wait way too long to release promised 7.0-alpha.1. I
hope that my notes in the thread "Castle Game Engine 7.0-alpha.1
release, view3dscene 4.0.0" will help anyway, to make CGE (and
view3dscene) packages in Debian and Ubuntu be updated when possible.
Let me know if you need further help from me there.

I did the necessary changes for CGE 6.4 too. They are in
(latest commit from v6.4-fixes branch,
https://github.com/castle-engine/castle-engine/tree/v6.4-fixes ).


More information about the Pkg-pascal-devel mailing list