[pkg-php-pear] Bug#976811: transition: php8.1

David Prévot david at tilapin.org
Mon Nov 22 15:55:15 GMT 2021

[ Ondřej, your last mail didn’t make it to the transition bug report, 
neither did the previous one. FWIW, I can only see a blank one from your 
“Apple Mail” MUA. ]

[ Here is a copy of the sources of your email. I reply after this copy 
to try not to add more confusion. ]

Le 22/11/2021 à 10:26, Ondřej Surý a écrit :
>> On 22. 11. 2021, at 14:15, David Pr=C3=A9vot <david at tilapin.org> =
> wrote:
>> Le 22/11/2021 =C3=A0 08:45, Ond=C5=99ej Sur=C3=BD a =C3=A9crit :
>> > Or we could stop delaying the inevitable[1] and instead of bumping
>> > epoch just go ahead with the transition.
>> You don=E2=80=99t need to bump epoch (especially on source package and =
> every binary ones) just to temporarily bump version of one binary =
> package.
>> IIRC, last time such transition was pushed in an uncoordinated way =
> like this (7.3 -> 7.4), it took months to handle. Can we please not =
> repeat this painful experience for such an expected bigger transition =
> (7.4 -> 8.1)?
> You asked for more time last December, a year has passed and it=E2=80=99s =
> again not good time. What would just having more time grant? We cannot =
> have bookworm released with PHP 7.4, so what will change and how much =
> more time will be =E2=80=9Cenough=E2=80=9D? We cannot hold back on PHP =
> version because Debian contains software that cannot keep up with the =
> PHP release model. People would actually appreciate having a recent PHP =
> interpreter packaged in Debian instead of software written in PHP. As =
> far as I understand most people are using stuff like composer anyway.
>> The current status is holding some of us to actually work on this =
> transition (e.g., I=E2=80=99m not able to properly build and push new =
> versions expected to actually work with recent PHP, and have little view =
> of the remaining issues that could be spotted via autopkgtests in =
> experimental, since little or no bugs were raised on affected packages).
> What transition? PHP 7.4 has been released in Debian bullseye, so I =
> cannot imaging what transition you are talking about. PHP 7.4 is =
> switching to security-only in December with only one extra year. We need =
> to switch to PHP 8.1 now and to PHP 8.2 before bookworm release.
> So, again - how much time would be enough if a year was not enough?
> Ondrej

[ It case that was not clear, I’m not a release team member. ]

Last December, I pointed that the lack of coordination to push PHP 8.0 
into Bullseye just before the freeze was not optimal. IIUC, the people 
in charge at the time (the release team, the security team, and the PHP 
maintainers) decided to stick with PHP 7.4 for Bullseye.

I have no intent to delay the transition to PHP 8: we all know that 
Bookworm won’t ship with PHP 7.

 > What transition?

I really mean the php8.1 transition, the one we’re discussing in this 
bug report, apologies if that was unclear.

What is currently bothering me is, since you pushed php-defaults 85 to 
unstable three days ago, packages are currently uninstallable (and thus, 
packages can’t currently be built) [1]. You claim to be willing to 
revert the transition you started without coordination, but the two 
packages you uploaded for that purpose can’t work or reach the archive. 
IIRC, you also pushed the previous transition (the php7.4 one) after 
uploading php-defaults to unstable by mistake. Seeing the same pattern 
again makes it more difficult to assume good faith.



1: That is the issue that triggered my initial mail three days ago, I 
hope you (PHP maintainers and release team) can work out some solution 

More information about the pkg-php-pear mailing list