[pkg-php-pear] Bug#976811: Bug#976811: transition: php8.1

Paul Gevers elbrus at debian.org
Tue Nov 23 19:57:07 GMT 2021

Hi Ondřej,

On 23-11-2021 11:52, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>> On 22. 11. 2021, at 22:28, David Prévot <david at tilapin.org> wrote:
>> I’m happy to upload it if you or the release team agree. I don’t
>> mind if the transition gets started right now either (even if we
>> have no proper php8.1 as default in experimental to get a grasp of
>> expected issues). >
> I’ve just uploaded a version with your fix.

Thanks a lot.

> David, can we now agree on a timeframe when we start the transition?

As a Release Team member I value the input from David on this matter, 
but it's not up to him to decide. That said, I'd love the PHP community 
in Debian (I assume I can take Debian PHP Maintainers + Debian PHP PEAR 
Maintainers for that, please correct me if I'm wrong) to align on a 
transition plan and share that with us. As a Release Team member, I'd 
like to see a plan (maybe I outlined it below already) where we can hope 
for a reasonable short time where php-defaults in unstable and testing 
are out of sync. Practically that means that most of the issues need to 
be identified, and sufficient progress needs to be made, *before* the 
upload to unstable, which starts the transition. We can remove some 
packages where progress isn't reasonably achievable in a timely matter, 
but we can't remove half the reverse dependencies of php.

Experimental is the ideal place to find that out. I does require 
somebody to go through the regressions and file bug though, this doesn't 
happen magically. I think David offered help there. I (Release Team 
member hat *off*) am willing to help a bit too. I welcome everybody to 
file issues related to switching from php7.4 to php8.1 and add a block 
on this bug. That way, we can generate a good overview of where we 
stand. (The cacti issue seems to have been resolved with my latest 
upload; one issue down). David, I think you already said you wouldn't 
mind if the transition already started now, is that the stance of the 
Debian PHP PEAR Maintainers? How much of the broken reverse dependencies 
are outside that teams maintenance (approximately)?

> And I would prefer if we roughly agree on a timeframe when we start
> the transition to php8.2 - I can upload the 8.2.0~beta1 as soon as it
> is ready upstream, so the ftp-masters have time, and keep uploading
> rcN versions (this will usually take few months) and start the
> transition right away when 8.2.0 is golden (December 2022). Would
> that work?
The Release Team _very much_ welcomes staging/testing these things in 
experimental exactly as you propose. So by all means, upload early, 
including the relevant php-defaults too. Similar as for the current 
situation, if the amount of fall out has been identified, bugs filed and 
(most) solutions available we can go ahead. We can't commit to an ACK 
already (it really depends on the amount of open issues), but with the 
right preparation I'd say it's very doable. But it also depends a bit on 
the cooperation of the maintainers of your reverse dependencies and/or 
NMU actions. This takes time and coordination.


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: OpenPGP_signature
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 495 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
URL: <http://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/pkg-php-pear/attachments/20211123/39cfbb3d/attachment.sig>

More information about the pkg-php-pear mailing list