[Pki-clean-room-devel] a few questions

Elizabeth Ferdman gnudevliz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:00:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 04:01:18PM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello Ana,
>
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 12:43:31PM -0800, Elizabeth Ferdman wrote:
> > For now I'm just going to make everything RSA and 2048.
>
> Why not 4096 bits?

Hey Sean,

Thanks for your reply. (It's Elizabeth not Ana) I will leave it up to
the user to decide, but I can put a hint that says either 2048 or 4096.
I know Daniel Pocock (one of the mentors for this project) wrote a blog
post about this topic in the link below. Ultimately the user should
decide since they'll be using the key for a specific purpose and with
specific smartcard and smartcard reader.

https://danielpocock.com/rsa-key-sizes-2048-or-4096-bits

> > I know what the signing and encryption keys are but I'm not sure about
> > what the authentication key does yet.
>
> In addition to signing and encrypting, the two other capabilities a key
> can have are certification, for signing other people's keys, and
> authentication, for use as an SSH private key (and possibly other
> things, but this is the only use of an authentication subkey I've heard
> of).

Ok got it.