[Popcon-developers] Bug survey

Petter Reinholdtsen pere@hungry.com
20 Oct 2003 23:32:56 +0200

[Bill Allombert]
> Hello
> First I managed to subscribe!
> Second here a survey of the remaining BTS bugs after the upload of
> today:
>
> 87619 : (Bill) I can probably fix that, but I ill need some one to test.

Sounds good.  It should be optional which method to use.

> 202675: (Petter) Need to be better defined

Yes, I guess it does. :)

> 212300: (Avery) My popcon fix that bug in one way.

But updated web pages should be fixed properly after a generic email
address is in place.

> ---
> 206830: (Petter) You seem to have already done the most important.

Still something left.  We need to make some decisions before it is
useful to email the admins again.

> 73603: This look like too intrusive a feature (big brother like)

I'm not sure if I agree with you.  But it would require a lot
processing more of the data.  I do not consider this high prioriyt.

> 97045: (Bill) I agree with Avery, but reporting the release
>               (/etc/debian_version) is possible.

I believe it would be OK to also include version numbers in the list.
It would be useful when package maintainers want to find out how old
versions are in use.

> 129985: I agree with Avery. I do new computation for my popcon pages
>         using only the data freely available, so I would ere on the side
>         of caution and not make more data available.

Agreed.

> 149425: This need changing the popcon processor.

Yes.  But I believe it should be done. :)

> Third, Martin Michlmayer offered a popcon.debian.org domain to Petter.

I guess that is the best suggestion so far.  But what should the
receiving address be called?  'input@popcon.debian.org' was suggested.
I'm not sure if that is a good name.  Are there other suggestions?
submit@ like at bugs.debian.org?

> We have to summary our need at this point:
>
> 1) A smtp server that has all mail rejecting feature removed so that
> we get submission from misconfigured MTA and let people try to be
> anonymous (by using fake adresse, remialer, etc...) Since popcon
> email are automatically parsed it is not an issue.

I do not see the need for a specially configured mail server.
Misconfigured MTAs should be refused, to improve the chances of the
people in charge of it to detect that it is misconfigured.  It would
be nice to allow anonymous email, but if this make it harder to get
the receiving end set up, I believe we should just accept whatever
email service we can get.

> 2) The facility needed to run the popcon analysis script (an account
> with procmail, etc...)

Yes.

> 3) A local Debian archive. This is needed for the computation of the
> webpages.

We really need a local archive?

> 4) Webspace to put the resulting webpage.

Yes.  We could put this on alioth, but it might not be the best
choice.

> Of course we don't need exclusive use of any of the above.
>
> did I miss something ?

Not sure.  Too tired right now to think of anything you missed. :)

Good work. :)