[Popcon-developers] Bug survey

Bill Allombert allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:57:06 +0200

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:32:56PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bill Allombert]
> > Hello
> > First I managed to subscribe!
> > Second here a survey of the remaining BTS bugs after the upload of
> > today:
> >
> > 87619 : (Bill) I can probably fix that, but I ill need some one to test.
>
> Sounds good.  It should be optional which method to use.

Well, once it is implemented, we have to design some way to
configure it. Maybe more difficult than implementing it :(

> > 212300: (Avery) My popcon fix that bug in one way.
>
> But updated web pages should be fixed properly after a generic email
> address is in place.

We can reuse the scripts that generate my page.

> > 73603: This look like too intrusive a feature (big brother like)
>
> I'm not sure if I agree with you.  But it would require a lot
> processing more of the data.  I do not consider this high prioriyt.

How will you do that without all the separate report at hand ?

> > 97045: (Bill) I agree with Avery, but reporting the release
> >               (/etc/debian_version) is possible.
>
> I believe it would be OK to also include version numbers in the list.
> It would be useful when package maintainers want to find out how old
> versions are in use.

I think it is too big brother like.

for the email: Why not survey@popcon.debian.org ?

> > We have to summary our need at this point:
> >
> > 1) A smtp server that has all mail rejecting feature removed so that
> > we get submission from misconfigured MTA and let people try to be
> > anonymous (by using fake adresse, remialer, etc...) Since popcon
> > email are automatically parsed it is not an issue.
>
> I do not see the need for a specially configured mail server.
> Misconfigured MTAs should be refused, to improve the chances of the
> people in charge of it to detect that it is misconfigured.  It would

Well I think there are other opportunuity to teach people to configure
their mail system than popcon. For example, I *never* send email as
root, but popcon does. So no wonder root has a broken return adress.
Why should then popcon reject the mail ? It does currently.

> be nice to allow anonymous email, but if this make it harder to get
> the receiving end set up, I believe we should just accept whatever
> email service we can get.

Of course, but then we can continue to use apenwarr-survey@debian.org.
We are trying to improve the situation.

> > 3) A local Debian archive. This is needed for the computation of the
> > webpages.
>
> We really need a local archive?

gluck is one, e.g. We need up-to-date Packages.gz files to get the
info about the packages (section, maintainers etc...).

A local Debian archive is te best solution. At worst I can run scripts
on gluck and upload them somewhere else. but it is not as if Debian
lack local Debian archive.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>