[Popcon-developers] Fixing DEBVER report

Bill Allombert allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:33:58 +0200

Hello Petter,

popcon was recently changed to report a DEBVER value which is the
content of /etc/debian_version.

Unfortunately there are several issues:
1) this is a conffile and some users change it so that make its value
not very useful.
2) it is a moderate privacy violation especially since this feature was
never advertised.
3) We have never been able to do anything from this data. On the other
hand the 'unknown' architecture give us some information about how many
reporters use woody.

So I propose to change the value of DEBVER to be the version of
popcon installed on the machine. That should give us more information
with a not really higher error margin.

Opinions ?

Cheers,
--