[Popcon-developers] How are the popcon-web/*.sections files generated?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Wed Jul 20 13:35:14 UTC 2005

The popcon.pl script used to generate all the web summaries seem to
read the following files

  popcon-web/potato-nonUS.sections  popcon-web/slink.sections
  popcon-web/potato.sections        popcon-web/woody-nonUS.sections
  popcon-web/slink-nonUS.sections   popcon-web/woody.sections

Here is an example from woody.sections:

  3270-common non-free/net
  3dchess games
  3dwm-clock graphics
  3dwm-csgclient graphics

How are these files generated?  Should we make new ones for sarge and
etch?

Are these really needed?  I suspect it is better to read the section
directly from the Packages file instead of hardcoding them on the
disk.

I found the files in
popcon.debian.org:/org/popcon.debian.org/popcon-web/, when trying to
replicate the popcon server part.