[Popcon-developers] Is the number of Debian installations dropping?

Alain Schroeder alain at parkautomat.net
Wed Jan 9 14:48:11 UTC 2008

On Mi, 2008-01-02 at 09:04 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> According to <URL: http://popcon.debian.org/ >, the number of machines
> reporting to popularity-contest have been as high as 70 000,-, but is
> now declining.  Today, it is a down to 69474.
>
> Is this because the number of Debian installations are falling, or
> because of some technical issue with popularity-contest?

I don't have any recent statistics, but Debian installations have a high
fluctuation. Take a look at the graph I attached. The left is just the
number of installations and the right is the changing percent. The
bright green is the percentage of new installations, the red one is
disappearing installations and the dark green is the bright green minus
the red one - the "actual growth".

The big spike is the release of sarge, btw. Also popcon submissions are
deleted after three weeks of no update, so the spike of the red line is
a bit later.

It is actually possible that only reinstallations (fluctuation) dropped
in the pre-christmas time... But I have no data to actually support that
- I'm sorry. And the current number of installations not being up again,
does not really support my theory.

Bye,
   Alain