[Popcon-developers] Debian popcon will soon pass 70 000 submissions

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Mon Jan 14 15:37:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 09:35:51AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bill Allombert]
> > The number of subscription seem to increase again. Strange.
>
> Yes, and this before the new version with random sleep is used.
> Perhaps the sysadmins found a way to give apache higher capasity?

When http submissions fails, we revert to smtp submissions anyway,
so we probably do not lose too much subscribtion.

> I am curious what effect the random sleep code will have.  If that was
> indeed the problem, I hope we will see a steep increase in
> submissions.  It is in any case a good idea to avoid all clients to
> deliver at the same time in every time zone. :)

I dislike very much the new random sleep code. If the computer is
shut down during the delay, then the report is lost, and we do not
revert to SMTP.

It would be much better to randomize the time the cronjob run, but
we cannot do that with cron.weekly.

Ubuntu seems to deal with five time more HTTP submissions without
problems though.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>