[Popcon-developers] Debian popcon will soon pass 70 000 submissions

Bill Allombert Bill.Allombert at math.u-bordeaux1.fr
Mon Jan 14 17:04:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 05:07:40PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Bill Allombert]
> > When http submissions fails, we revert to smtp submissions anyway,
> > so we probably do not lose too much subscribtion.
>
> Well, that is assuming most machines have working /usr/sbin/sendmail.
> I doubt that is true any more. :(
>
> At least my laptop do not have it. :)

Your fault.

> > I dislike very much the new random sleep code. If the computer is
> > shut down during the delay, then the report is lost, and we do not
> > revert to SMTP.
>
> Not to happy about it either, but do not see any good alternatives.

Reverting to smtp-only submission seems a better alternative than
the current implementation. I am not going to accept a patch that
can cause fallback smtp submission not being sent at all.

Also it is not acceptable to delay other cron.weekly jobs. At least
it should be asynchronous.

> > It would be much better to randomize the time the cronjob run, but
> > we cannot do that with cron.weekly.
>
> Yeah.  We could generate a cron.d entry during installation, but I
> would rather keep the cron entry as a conffile.

That does not prevent it to be a conffile at all. Just move
/etc/cron.weekly/popularity-contest to /etc/popularity-contest.cron
and add a file /etc/cron.d/popularity-contest.

Cheers,
Bill.