[Popcon-developers] Debian popcon will soon pass 70 000 submissions

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Jan 14 21:13:33 UTC 2008

[Bill Allombert]
> Your fault.

I am not convinced if it is a fault, nor that it is mine.

I suspect the lack of smtp delivery capabilities are shared with a
large part of the laptop population in debian, which if we should
nbelieve the fraction of submitters with hotkey-setup or uswsusp
installed is between 55% and 42% percent.  Both packages are part of
the laptop task installed by default on laptops.

> Reverting to smtp-only submission seems a better alternative than
> the current implementation. I am not going to accept a patch that
> can cause fallback smtp submission not being sent at all.

Because of the above stats I suspect reverting to SMTP only would make
us loose a significant amount of submitters, perhaps as much as half
of them.  This make be believe reverting to SMTP only is a very bad
alternative.

> Also it is not acceptable to delay other cron.weekly jobs. At least
> it should be asynchronous.

I agree that it would be an advantage that it is asynchronous.

> That does not prevent it to be a conffile at all. Just move
> /etc/cron.weekly/popularity-contest to /etc/popularity-contest.cron
> and add a file /etc/cron.d/popularity-contest.

That would work, yes.  It would not affect the problem with the
machine being shut down when the cron job was supposed to run, though.

Hapy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen